Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Canned puppy! warm!

   I am starting to think that I am getting to be one of those people who will proudly wear a shirt that says "I (heart) my Scotty" with a cheesy picture of a Scotty dog playing with ribbons, all pastel colours, eighties cut and awful - purely because there is a scotty dog on it. I actually screamed in a clothing store because I found Pajamas that had a scotty on them. I got those for christmas. 
   As I realize that I care probably too much for Peter, my young Scotty dog, I decided that in this wintry land of Canada, my dog needed more of a coat than he already has. Instead of forking over $15-$50! buckaroos on a dog coat, I decided to make my own.


   I began by going to a dollar store and buying a fleece blanket that was red with little dog paws all over it. (I know, it's just one more sign I am going to be a crazy dog lady eventually). I would actually suggest not going this route though, because it was a really small dog blanket and there was not enough fabric to do what I really wanted to. 
   I then measured his back length and around his belly to figure out how much of the blanket would actually go around him.  The fleece was kind of thin so I doubled it up by folding the blanket in half. My basic shape was a rectangle with rounded corners. I made one side more round than the other so as to give the back a nice shape.  Then I cut it out, sewed it together leaving a small section to pull it out through, sewed up that spot and did some decorative top stitching. When I put it on the dog, I thought it looked better if I flipped back one side almost like a collar, so I pinned it back and sewed it as well. I was orginally going to go with a velcro fastener but I didn't have any. What I had a LOT of was some thick black band elastic, so I measured and pinned the elastic on the coat with one band around his neck the other around his belly. I simply took that off the dog and sewed it all together and voila! A quick coat for my wittle precious puppy... oh man...I am doomed.

1 comment:

  1. ahh yes you r doomed...lol I own a chihuaha and I crochet... so can you spell "sweater"(s)???? you are not alone in your loving....

    ReplyDelete