Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Geek Craft : Steampunk

Recently I have gotten my geek on. 

Exhibit A : In the summer I went to a great little festival in Milton called Pirate Fest.  It was fun and silly and everybody got dressed up in pirate-type clothing.  There was lots of swashbuckling, drinking and singing irish / pirate tunes. At the festival they had a stand that had some really cool bracelets with some gears and wheels on it. They also had a pamphlet which talked about Steampunk.  I had heard of the Steampunk phenomenon before that but I didn't really know what it was or what it was all about.  After reading the pamphlet I thought that the idea of it was really cool.  I had read a lot of books that were set in Steampunk type worlds and thought that would be a fun, silly thing to get into.

Exhibit B: Fan Expo. This is one of those things you don't need to do very often because it's crowded and silly and exhausting.  However it was also a place where they had some Steampunk Canada representation.  I had heard that lots of people get dressed up for Fan Expo so I took that opportunity to make myself a steampunk outfit.  I had lots of crazy ideas, most of which I couldn't pull off in two weeks and with very limited funds I was definitely limited by what I could get and do for very basically no money.  I had a ton of green fabric I was going to make into curtains for my outdoor arbour, but a tree fell on the arbour so I couldn't use it for that and it was sitting collecting dust.  So I decided to make a skirt and a bustle type thing for the bottom half of me out of that fabric.  I really just used a lot of rooshing. ( I do not know how to spell this word and it looks cool spelt this way.) Which is basically gathering fabric to create a roosh. (or a ruche?)  I had a corset already and a Victorian style blouse so I put that together but realized I needed something to really complete the look so I decided to make a jacket out of corduroy that I had for some other project. So I found a pattern that I had for making a jacket and changed it a little I gave the jacket a high collar, bigger shoulder puffs, and a shorter waist with a fanned tail back.  I also spent a lot of hours watching "Charmed" ( this should really be Exhibit C for my getting my geek on) and while watching I cut big and small gears out of that thin foam you can buy at the dollar store.  I painted them brass and a put a green and rusted patina on them to kind of bring together the colours from the skirt, then I sewed the gears onto the jacket. The next thing I did was put a chain across the front by tearing apart some ugly old necklaces that I never wore.
I had seen little hats on some of the steampunk ladies and figured I could make one pretty easily so  I took a large waterbottle cut out a tube from the middle then cut out a rim of the hat from a plastic plate and covered it in the corduroy. I then added gears and plates from a broken stop watch to decorate it.

Exhibit C: We spoke of this earlier - watching "Charmed" I watched 4 seasons of Charmed. Ridiculous. A bunch of bitchy witches running around playing with demons and warlocks. yikes.

Exhibit D: I am now a member of the Steampunk Canada Club because really if you have an opportunity to wear Victorian Garb and play with silly props, why not?

wow...I really am a geek but not nearly as bad as three quarters of the people at the fan expo.Don't get me wrong I feel proud of my mid-level geekdom, but I also take comfort in the fact that there are weirder, geekier people out there than me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was browsing Craftster and found you there! Love your blog and that gingerbread house!
    If you love steampunk...I have one spot left for a swap I'm hosting! http://faeriedustdreams-michelle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete