Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Come up to my room" yes please.

So "Come up to my room" is an art exhibit at the Gladstone Hotel in Toronto and for part of the design week they did a really cool exhibit.  I really enjoyed myself and thought that the space was so cool.  So for those who have never been - The gladstone hotel has uses it's hotel rooms at exhibit rooms for it's art gallery ( hence the title "come up to my room") they have  such cool stuff and the other floors of the hotel also have exhibits but they actually have hotel rooms you can stay in. (Paul says with a snooty voice "it's a boutique hotel"). Anyhoo here are some of the things I felt were just wicked:

These were so beautiful. Orange thread spirograph 100's of them hanging from the ceiling. Gorgeous!(I didn't grab the name of the artist - I sincerely apologize... )

This is made of tiny cut pieces of PAPER - i know.. crazy awesomeness.. It was really bleak too. This is made by Jen Spinner.

I really enjoyed this linseed smelling piece. Paul went gaga over it. It was a forced perspective barn like structure that was about how urban sprawl has taken over what used to be farm land.  There were a lot of levels to it and Paul and I sat for a long time staring at it from different angles. This is by Lubo Brezina and Scott Eunson.

It's amazing how a simple idea - applied in an unconventional fashion can look stunning.  These are just papier mache balls joined together. SO COOL. The effect was brilliant and it made me think of the way marshmallows  melt and bubble and go all over the place.  This by Rina Grosman and Vivien Cheng.

I loved this piece. Again simple idea applied so ingeniously.  These are made with fan cages and pan-ties. They created this amazing pattern and they looked amazing. I would put this in my house. FOR SURE. This is by Mark McLean.

Here is what it looks like from afar.

This is it up close. Wicked right? Toy Soldiers piled up like that to make a peace sign. Oh the levels. This is also by Mark Mclean.
Okay Let's talk drool here. This room of work is amazing. Amanda McCavour created these amazing sketchlike thread pieces by sewing onto a fabric and then this magic fabric dissolves in water leaving her beautiful thread connections to create these images.  She created this fascinating room with depth and spacing of each of her pieces and I was agog.  LOVE LOVE LOVE. 


My opinion on Come up to my room is thus: I am going to to try and go every time they have a show. Clearly these curators know how to find thought provoking, fascinating work and I want to support what they represent as much as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment