Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I "heart" interior design show

  Obsession Confession: Design websites, blogs and magazines. 

I love them. I love reading them and I like following trends.  I may not have the stuff in my house but I drool over amazing designs of furniture, wallpaper, artistic and industrial designs.  So This weekend I went to a mecca event for my obsession: the interior design show in Toronto.  I have to say I was worried that it might be full of snooty people poo-pooing my clothing choices ( it may have taken two temper tantrums and a lot of clothes everywhere to make a decision on what to wear) and possibly looking down on us but it really wasn't. It was kind of a celebration of all things awesome in design. Sure there were people reallllly trying to sell there product but most people were just excited to talk about there cool Stuff and I really didn't talk to anybody who looked like a jerk anyway... So I intend on sharing with you the things that I thought were totally boss.

I love these geometric felted goats.  They are so cute and awesome.


Elte Rugs.  Gorgeous- the idea behind these rugs is fantastic.  They go to Turkey searching for old antique rugs that 30 -80 years old, then they strip them of colour and redye them.  They do these beautiful patchwork rugs because sometimes a full rug doesn't make it and it is very difficult to find the really large rugs that people want in antique rugs, so they make them with this gorgeous patchwork look. 

This is one of  the exhibits. It was done by Glenn Dixon and his brother.  It is based on Sadako and the 1000 Paper cranes ( which there are on the ceiling) He had built for this exhibit this really neat cocoon bed thing that I love. I liked to be all cocooned while sleeping...



These three pictures are of the brothers Dressler. Not only are these two boys super cute, there designs are fabulous too.  I love what they can do with wood... They made that fabulous chandelier, they used the ends of leather to cover this chair ( love, love love!) and they Used a lot of mixed reclaim and live edge wood.  Beautiful work and wonderfully crafted.  This exhibit maybe made me drool a bit.  I felt pretty dorky but I was in love with so many of there pieces. 


Up Country - Love their stuff.  Love this chair - It's kind of egg chair meets airstream trailer, and I want one bad bad bad.  I also love these cases - stainless steel and lovely leather. Yummy, it's very masculine but I love it anyway. I also saw the union jack just about everywhere.   



So I neglected to find out who did this.. I know poor form.  But I liked it and Paul LOVED it. It is an interestingly spalted wood table with a built in nexi clock. 
This piece I liked because it incorporated purposely rusted metal with wood. Also I am a sucker for rust orange and blue together. 
Overall I loved this whole thing. Don't get me wrong there were lots of people selling beautiful (and ugly) tiles, faucets, bathtubs, doodads that you never knew you didn't need and lots of snotty people but we just pretended we were rich and talked to everybody. Generally people were very interested in chatting about their stuff and most of the stuff was great.  I had a really good time and would highly recommend it. 

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    First allow me to introduce myself. My name is Andrew Metrick. Elte was started by my great grandfather. I don't know if you met my brother or I at the booth but we'd be the fourth generation in the business. I just wanted to thank you for featuring us on your blog. I'm so happy you had a good time at the show. There was lots of beautiful things to see and so many amazing people to interact with. Anyway, thanks again and hope to see you at Elte or Ginger's sometime soon.

    All the best,

    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got back from a buying trip in Turkey and picked up some great Vintage Patchwork Rugs. Can't wait to have in our Melbourne showroom next month!

    Ash Jamshidi
    Silk Road Rugs - Melbourne AU
    www.silkroadrugs.com.au

    ReplyDelete