Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Friday, June 17, 2011

Day of the Dead Swap - Part Deux

The second part of my Day of the Dead adventure was this skull that I papier mached.  I had been looking at all of these cool sugar skulls that the Mexican folk make for the Day of the Dead Celebration and I loved the intricate detail and the idea that you are wishing that those you love who have died are partying and having a good time on this day in their afterlife. So I molded the skull out of plasticene and then made a plaster mold of the skull.

After putting vaseline on the plaster I then pushed the papier mache into the mold to get my shape and voila it came out wonderfully! I painted it white then drew many designs on it. I used two different shades of purple to paint it. I think it is a happy skull.It was really like doodling on a head.. Quite fun really. And now that I have the mold I can make tons of them...

The cool part about this little guy is I didn't actually spend any money on him. I had plaster from a previous project, and wallpaper paste I always have for papier mache, then paper and paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment