Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I'll embroider that origami!

For This hoopla swap round on craftster.org my partner said she liked Japanese things so I went looking around for images..I am not one of those people who likes to steal directly from wists/pinterest for inspiration, so I wanted to come up with something new. I was looking around and I found this origami paper design with different designs in each fan. I decided to something like it myself. Working out the pattern was a little difficult but I figured it out.
Here is the pattern I worked out which you are welcome to use:
I had to enlarge it a bit, because the fans were way too tiny when I started out.

I also used a silly fabric for embroidery, it is a rather thick striped fabric almost like a corduroy, I would not recommend this. Every time I put my needle on one of the ridges it was more difficult to get through. So sometimes the tension was uber funky.

 I started out thinking that I might use this as an exercise to try out new stitches and filling stitches but then I thought, I should use some imagery so I picked the koi,
 the hiroshige wave,
the cherry blossom, peony and matryoshka dolls.
 The rest of the fans are all improvised or experiments in types of stitches (which was totally fun in and of itself).  New Stitches on this would be  the french knot (which is so fun to do once you get the hang of it), Chain stitch, Blanket button hole stitch and the long and short satin stitch. I am really realizing that there is a whole world of interesting stitches that I am not using so I am going to try and incorporate them more into my designs.

4 comments:

  1. nice one.... i like the colours.. would try it out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so creative! I love the designs you used, especially the hiroshige wave! Beautiful! Thanks for the pattern, too.
    XoXo
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may have been difficult fabric to work with but the end result is stunning. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much. It was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete