Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

All the little Steamships hanging in a row...


Here is an example of another of my Steampunk ornaments that I made for a craftster swap.  This one is a series of Steamships that I found on old 18th century drawings.. I found this great topographical map fabric and embroidered them on that.  I also found these great brass rings that came in a couple of different sizes. I embroidered the images, then cut it out and stretched it over the brass rings. I then added a little bit of gimp and voila a cute little ornament. This is the first time I incorporated felt into my embroidery and I think it went rather well.
 So these are my silly little doodles on how I finished the back of these.  I put the brass ring in the centre of the fabric circle. Which I had made about 3/4 of an inch bigger than the brass ring.

 I then took embroidery floss and stitched the top and bottom together, folding the fabric over the ring, stretching that taut. Then I moved on to stretch the sides. Similar to stretching a canvas except it is by pulling threads together.
Then I continued this process all the way around the back until the fabric sat nicely. I then put a piece of felt on the back and it finishes quite nicely! 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE!!! What a neat little idea. Straight from the crafty can. I love the love of detail in this. So much fun. Keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete