Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Great Balls of Paper! (IMG Heavy)

Who doesn't want a pretty ball of paper for Christams? Seriously, these are really neat and can be done in so many different ways. That they are now my new favourite thing. I have made 8 today. Ridiculous.

Supplies:
8-1/2" by 11 paper any colour
Scissors
Glue or Hot Glue
Some ribbon

I haven't really done a lot of tutorials on my site but I just thought this was so cool I needed to share it. So here goes.  The basic shape of each piece is a pentagon with a halfmoon attached to each side. The ones I made are about 2-1/2" wide and make about a 3 " ball.  I figured out the pattern on AutoCAD, and then printed them off on brown sheets of paper.


I then cut each one out ending up with what looks like a five sided flower.


Then you cut in on each of the lines going across the pentagon ONLY HALF way. This will be how each piece slots in together. You need to be very consistent with which side you cut. I made it easy for myself by always cutting from the bottom to half way up, then rotating the shape to do it all over again.


You will need twelve pieces altogether and once you have gotten them all to look like the above picture, you can start putting them together.

Pretty simple stuff really you just slide the two sides in together. Kind of like IKEA furniture.


You keep adding in more pieces and attaching in the same way. It can get a bit tricky once you are attaching 4 or 5 sides but with a bit of patience and practice, it ain't nothin' but a thing.


Once you have the entire ball slotted together you may want to do a once over. Making sure to tug all the pieces together and lay them a bit flat so you get the neat effect you see above.  I did this with really simple brown paper but  I also tried it with GOLD card stock which was a little tougher only because of the weight but other wise it looks really cool.

These go really fast and are super fun to do, I would suggest this would be great to do with kids, and maybe older folks can help them when it gets to the point where you are attaching 4 and 5 sides on each piece but they are super fun and end up looking SO cute.

1 comment:

  1. Would you be willing to share your CAD file? If possible in PDF format? Thank you so much! We still haven't made our 2013 ornament and I need to get this done ASAP. :) Thank you so much I love this ornament!

    ReplyDelete