Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oh such Sad Felt Pinecones...



I am still going crazy with the ornaments. This one was very quick, it only took me about 2 hours to make three of these. I am not entirely happy with these little guys, but I think they are kind of funny, so I will share. Well, not every craft can be a total success but we learn from them all the same! I feel like my problem with these was I should have maybe made the under shapes a little more carefully, and perhaps kept the size of the pinecone tines not quite as long.

Supplies:

TinFoil
4 pieces of felt, 2 blue, 2 cream
Hot Glue

To start out I bought 4 pieces of felt, 2 blue and 2 cream.  I used spray adhesive to glue the blue to the cream. 

I then squished together some tinfoil to make a shape remniscent of a pine cone or perhaps a little tinfoil cone.

I cut the felt up into 3 different widths of strips, probably about 8 strips of 3/4" length, then a bunch of strips of 1" then a bunch of strips of 1-1/4" length. ( Sorry I didn't actually count...) I then cut those into triangle shapes, alternating on the strip as to get the most out of it. Then I rounded the ends off.

I then began gluing them on the to the tinfoil shapes.  I started with two small size at the very tip, then began circling around that, alternating at each layer so they weren't all right on top of each other.

 At about a third of the way up, I moved to medium sized pieces, then again at 2/3rds of the way up I moved to the largest.  I then put a loop of felt at the top to attach it to the tree. 


This one kind of looks sad, not quite right? Yes, I think so. One of them turned out okay -

It wouldn't be Christmas without something that felt really homemade right?

1 comment: