Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Alice working some Kung Fu on Cross Hatch Embroidery


I decided to make this Alice in Wonderland inspired hoop after looking at original illustrations from the books. I redrew the image, as I thought Alice's face looked a little mean in the drawing and I wanted to uncomplicate it by taking away all the animals at the bottom.  I also reshaped it so it fit better into the space of the hoop I had to work with. You can see the original image below...

I have never done cross hatching in embroidery before, and I must say it is quite liberating. I love the effect and it goes really quickly, looks clean and gives a neat sketchy feel to the embroidery. Working in a single coloured thread also lends to this sketchy feeling to.  For some reason the way I positioned her arms looks a bit like she is about to do Kung Fu, but once I saw how silly she looked I thought it kind of updated her in a way. 

I supremely enjoy working with cross hatching and will be employing it as a technique in my stitch arsenal from here on out.

3 comments:

  1. The stitching looks great! I love the crosshatching effect too! Must give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing- the cross hatching looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it - very clever translation of the original picture.

    ReplyDelete