Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Cuckoo Clock Gingerbread House! Part One...

 Last year I had so much fun making that Harry Potter gingerbread house, that I thought I would try it again this year.  I had been thinking for quite some time about what I wanted to do and this is what I came up with - a Gingerbread Cuckoo Clock with working gears inside!

I love Cuckoo Clocks in general and a lot of real Cuckoo Clocks are called "Gingerbread" Cuckoo clocks because of all of the wooden details on them. ( Unless it's because they used to be made out of gingerbread? nah...) I did a bit of research and found several clocks that I liked and amalgamated the bits I found interesting to make this clock here.  I did a quick sketch and then started out by making the first base shape. I then added the sides and roof.  I then made the branches, birds and leaves.
 For the top piece, I really wanted to make a reindeer, I haven't the foggiest idea how this is going to turn out in gingerbread, but why not give it a go!

 So here's where people might think I am a little off my rocker. For some reason, probably because I like steampunk so much, I wanted the clock to have working gears. By that I mean Gingerbread Gears that turn in sequence.  I used this great program called a gear template generator in order to create the gears so that they will work.  I made the clock face see through so you can see the gears, and there are three layers to my clock, a backdrop, the gears and what I am calling an axle holder. My foam core model worked okay when I did it, although soft material like foamcore doesn't really like being pushed the way the gears were pushing it. The foam core kind of got squished a bit. I am hoping the Gingerbread will be harder.  However, I am not going to be crushed if they don't work BUT wouldn't it be cool if they did?

 This is what I am hoping it will turn out like, but I will probably have two birds on the real thing. Oh, and I am also going to get a special shelf so it can sit on the wall, like a real clock! What do you think of that Gepetto?

No comments:

Post a Comment