Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Monday, January 2, 2012

Namesake Hooplas - French Knot Mania!

Happy New Year everybody! For two boys that I love very much, I made these two 10" namesake Hoops for Christmas. I was really happy with the way they turned out. I don't really think they are old enough to really appreciate them, but hopefully this will help them learn the letters in their names!  

It took me a long time to figure out the best font to use and I ended up with something called "rabbit on the moon". It had a fun kid like feeling to it.

Basically I traced out the letters on to the fabric, put it in the hoop and started making french knots. And then some more french knots and  then A LOT more french knots. I listened to two audio books, watched 4 movies and these got done while doing that.

 The red one had a blue backing like Spiderman, and the green one has a lighter tone backing on it. The green one I did in various floss colours of green. ( This was due to the fact that I thought I had a lot of green thread, now, I have none, as this project absorbed about 8 skeins of different colours of thread!)

Hope you like these - They were a lot of fun to do and fairly simple.The Bonus is that I am now a super whiz with french knots.

5 comments:

  1. So many french knots! I am terrible at them. This would definitely make me better at them. And everyone says they are so easy. Huh.
    These are really gorgeous. Especially love the green one - of course, that is my fave color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cool! I love the font and your negative space use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love french knots and never thought of doing something like this with them. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so much fun things to see in your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea!! Looks fantastic... must have taken a long time but so worth it!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete