Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Blackbird and Birch Trees Silhouette Embroidery

 For the most recent Hoopla swap on Craftster.org. I was challenged with making a silhouette for a partner who liked so many things it was hard to pick what to make her.  She had mentioned that her totems were both blackbirds and birch trees. I too have an affinity for Birch trees so I decided to focus on that. After many sketches I ended up with this design.
I used variegated black and grey thread for the outlines of the trees. I used a ton of black thread to fill in and for a little subtle wink of colour a dark brown thread for a couple of details. I am really all about the short and long stitch on my filler stitches because satin stitch and I don't always communicate well. This is an 8 inch hoop that I painted black on the outside to tie in my colour choices.
 As far as design goes, this is one of my most favourite hooplas.  It took me a very long time to come up with this design and I hope that my partner liked it.  

2 comments:

  1. Holy Macaroni you're talented! Just saw all your posts and you have mad talent.

    ReplyDelete