Faux Batik Banner and Blog Renovation!

As you may have noticed I have revamped my blog! I was feeling like it needed a little bit more of a personal touch and I wanted to do something that represented what I really do on the blog with my banner photo, so I have been working away with on a hand-painted, hand embroidered banner.  I had seen this great technique for doing faux batik and I thought I would share with you my experience making it.

  • School GEL glue. The kind of glue is very important! It must be gel as it dissolves in water.
  • Acrylic paint
  • a bin to soak your fabric in
  • water
  • a design!

Here is how you do it:
  1. Pick out your design and transfer it to your fabric, in my case I drew out all of the letters.
  2. Here is where some online instructions differ - you can choose to wet your fabric or not. I chose to not wet it and it worked fine.
  3. Paint your gel glue where you want the fabric to be white in the end. I did it on the letters and I free handed the hearts and flowers.
  4. Let this dry completely.
  5. Water down your acrylic paint a little and proceed to put acrylic paint on your fabric. However your heart desires! I used four colours of paint, ultramarine blue, purple, white and another blue ( which the label is gone from...) I mixed them together, spattered them, generally messed around with it.
  6. Let this dry completely, and I do mean completely.
  7. Once it is totally dry, fill your bin with warm water and put the fabric in, letting it soak for 20 minutes.
  8. You will start to see the glue separating from the fabric, I rubbed at the fabric a bit to get the glue off which seemed to work fine, you can also use some mild soap as well.  The colour of the acrylic can lighten a little bit so be careful not to scrub super duper hard on some parts. 
  9. Let dry.
  10. Iron.
  11. VOILA! Your faux batik is finished.  I then proceeded to embroider mine, but you can do whatever you like with it!

When I first did this of course I read the directions wrong and used watercolour paint instead of acrylic, but that also had interesting results. What happened in this case is that the watercolour stuck to the spots where the glue was, so it actually had the opposite effect, the watercolour washed away, but where the glue was, the paint remained ( a bit faded) but essentially still there. If you want to repeat my mistake, I would suggest, not soaking it very long and being very gentle with it, but it too looked like batik. Sorry, I don't have a photo of that.

But here is the finished product!
 Hope you all like my newly renovated Blog!


  1. That is such an awesome technique!! Oh man, I wish I had seen this a couple weeks ago - I would have used it in this round of the hoopla!


Post a Comment

Popular Posts