Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Name that Plant because I really don't know!

Allrighty, Now onto the glorious garden at my new home. One of the reasons I loved this house so much was the great garden in the back, however, I am a beginner gardener and know oh so little about plants and their care.  My friends were joking about how I was a control freak, wanting to know what all of the plants were in order to properly care for them, but isn't that what gardening is all about? Anyways I would appreciate it if out there in the blogosphere folks could help me identify these plants because I have no clue! I have also given them my own names for right now...

 "Weed Looking base Morning hello Flower"
These were a lovely surprise, when I began taking a look at the garden about a month ago, the bases for these flowers looked like a variegated red and green weed. Because I knew that it had the potential to be something else I waited and my what a surprise, they are such a lovely delight to see. They come out in the mornings and the evenings when the sun isn't too hot and they close themselves back up again when it is...
 "Horton in purple"
 All I think of when I see this is Horton hears a hoo...

 "Clover looking base dew drop fancy flower"
I have these flowers all over the yard, there are pink ones and purple ones and the bushy thing in the background of this photo is one of the bases for these a plethora of these flowers.

 "Neat Leaf Plant"
 A lovely little plant with very interesting leaves, but what is it?
 "Mega size lily of the valley"
I know this is fairly common, I just don't know what it is!

"Could be Dogwood"
This is a bush that is in the back, I thought it might be dogwood,  but when we bought the house, the branches were not the colour of dogwood in winter, so any guesses would help!



6 comments:

  1. Is the yellow flower attached to the stripey leaves or some other leaves? Close ups of the leaves would help.

    The purple "Horton" flower is in the onion family (Allium), but I can't get any more specific than that.

    The pink flower may be in the orchid family--it looks similar to a lady slipper, but I don't think it is. Maybe a cyclamen? (They aren't hardy where I live, but if you're in a warmer area, they'll overwinter.)

    Try the Plants Database (http://plants.usda.gov)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I've been reading for a couple of months now, since I fell onto a link about your quilled monograms. I am de-lurking because this "help me figure out what this plant is in my garden" game all the time and I love it.

    1. Evening Primrose?
    2. Yeah, it's an allium
    3. Columbine
    4. Cranesbill
    5. I have no friggin clue, but I hope someone figures it out because I have been seeing them around the neighborhood.
    6. It's hard to tell without seeing it close up, but my guess would be some kind of honeysuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Angie's Mom - She asked me to have a look.
    Not sure about the first one, but Evening Primrose is very likely. #2 is definitely allium & #3 definitely columbine. I am not sure about #4 being Cranesbill. If it is low-growing and spreading, and the leaves are a bit furry and smell like strong urine, and it has little pink-purple flowers right now, then it's Cranesbill. However, it looks like it is growing tall-ish and not spreading like made, so my hunch is it's more likely Aconitum, commonly known as Monk's Hood, also known as Wolf's Bane, which comes out with a purple flower later in the summer. Monk's Hood, btw, is one of the most poisonous plants you can have around, so if you have a pet, or plan to have kids, make sure they don't chew it. Deadly!!! Read about it here >>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AconitumCached
    #5 is Solomon's Seal, Polygonatum biflorum.
    #6 is difficult to say without seeing a close-up of the leaves. Honeysuckle is possible.
    Now that you have a good clue from me & other readers, I'd suggest going online and looking up images and descriptions. In some cases it's much easier for you to tell by comparing the real thing to images, then for us to guess by seeing images and guessing what it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much guys for helping me out! I did go to Wikipedia and I don't think it is Wolfsbane, as I went out today and there is a purple astilbe looking thing growing out of it, it's only about an inch right now,but it didn't look like that monk's hood flower. Also there was a bit of difference with the leaf. However thank you for letting me know that as I do have a dog!

    Solomen's seal sounds really neat.

    thanks for all the tips on how to figure out other plants too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the best advice my mom (Mme Dodie G) gave me about gardening is the following:
    1. Don't get too worried or uptight about plants. They'll either grow or not, no biggie. It's ok to be overwhelmed by all of the plant info and do's and don't-do's about every variety and plant.
    2. Don't forget to water them sometimes. Throw in some fertilizer.
    3. Plant something. Experiment! Don't like where it is? Move it. Does it die where it was? don't plant that there again. Is it too big? cut it back.

    Most of it is learn-as-you-go. It all looks lovely, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 5th one "Mega size lily of the valley" is Salmon Seal.... smells a little like baby powder

    ReplyDelete