Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sculpture Class - Makin' a lady.



I believe in constantly challenging myself and recently I had the opportunity to take a really great class on two weekends with Off the Wall Artists Studio.  I have actually taught there myself, but I had the opportunity to study sculpture with Ruth Abernathy and I didn't want to pass that up.  Ruth has done some amazing bronze sculptures all across the country and she also has worked in theatre making props. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to pick her brain about sculpture and propmaking and she showed me a very practical and fascinating way to sculpt. We also  prepared our pieces like they would be finished for a bronze sculpture which is done with hot wax.  Here is the piece that I came up with.

As I did not have a clear idea of what I wanted to sculpt before I started the course I began with a drawing of a woman from four different angles, however there was not a great deal of focus on the neck and head in the drawing and I can see where that is where I needed to do a bit more work on that relationship in this sculpture. However it is a learning experience so I don't feel so bad! 
 

The wax is a fascinating process, It can be entirely frustrating as it can be difficult to manipulate. Fellow Artist Marc, was attempting to get a smooth surface on the wax which took a great deal of time to get something that was satisfactory.  I made this sculpture on the first weekend, and have started a polar bear in the second weekend, but it is going to need a bit more work before I would call it finished.

All in all I was very happy that I took the course. It gave me a lot of confidence in my sculpting skills, as well as a very practical way to approach sculpture as a propmaker.  I would recommend it to anyone looking to learn more about sculpting! 




No comments:

Post a Comment