Sweet, sweet curiosity.

This blog is all about things I have made. You can find intense embroidery, paper quilling mania, crazy gingerbread houses, masks, puppets, steampunk clothes, ornaments, wackiness and sculptures on this site. So have fun and check it out!

Friday, January 18, 2013

A polar bear trophy head.. Why Not?



   In the fall I took a sculpture course that was geared toward creating pieces with stryofoam and lost wax in order to eventually get a piece bronzed. I have previously shown the naked lady sculpture I did in that course, but the second weekend, I wanted to do something I could give my husband for christmas, so I carved a polar bear trophy head. Yep, Awesome christmas gift, because who doesn't want a massive polar bead head on a wall? I knew my hubby would like it because he is big fan of polar bears, so I used the techniques I learned and created it.

    Instead of covering the piece in hot  wax to prepare it for a lost wax bronze sculpture technique, I covered it in several layers of plaster.  This probably wouldn't work for theatre, as things in theatre need to be sturdier than just plaster, however, I knew that just on our wall it would be fine. I covered it in plaster and used the plaster to get a little bit of a slick fur effect.

I then left it and went away to Suchitoto for two months and this week I finished it and put it up on our wall. Merry Christmas, babe! ( Just a little belated..)

3 comments:

  1. Now you need to sculpt a big polar bear arm that you can make look like it's clawing it's way out of the wall to git you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea...I will have to think about that one. He doesn't look particularly gnarly though, mayb inquisitive. So maybe an inquisitive paw? ha. Too funny.

      Delete